What we say at The Zoe Napier Group
An amazing opportunity for the incoming buyer – every aspect of the business appears well run and maintained, allowing an immediate transition into the ongoing business bookings, currently taken up to 2024. The barn is probably underused for its potential earnings, albeit that would be for the new owner to explore.
What the Owners Say
We moved here from London back in 2012 for a total change of profession and lifestyle with a great vision as to what we could achieve at Hall Farm, with its then, unconverted barn. The barn has since been sympathetically converted with relevant permissions to offer this outstanding events/wedding venue.
History & Background
A unique combination comprising a substantial six-bedroom family home, set within its own mature grounds. Next door is the business facility comprising the notable and historic Elizabethan Copdock Hall, having been sympathetically converted to create a wonderful function/wedding venue within a courtyard setting with the former stables currently used for storage. The acreage runs northeast where there is an established vineyard with scope to expand. Overlooking the venue is St Peter’s Church, a superb backdrop for photos or available to couples (subject to status) to marry in and walk across to Copdock Hall. The hall is licensed for weddings both inside and within the courtyard or grounds.
The house is set within its own secluded, mature plot with a long private drive. The property is not listed but believed to date back in part to the 17th century with various alterations and additions since. A wing of the house has been converted to a first-floor self-contained annexe offering good flexibility for living arrangements. Copdock Hall lies adjacent with a connecting path from the house but hidden behind mature hedging. The barn is a outstanding example of a 16th century tithe barn, Grade II listed, and of notable historic and architectural importance. Its beauty and stunning elevations are quite evident from the images shown and the interior has been sympathetically restored to create an atmospheric function/wedding venue with bar and commercial kitchens.
Setting & Location
The property and business premises are set along Church Lane, an idyllic country lane, largely surrounded by farmland with the prominence of St Peter’s Church set in an elevated position alongside Copdock Hall. Views can be enjoyed to the north and northeast, across rolling countryside and with Ipswich in the further distance. The location of the premises is highly accessible via London Road which is immediately off A12 access.
The acreage consists of mature and private grounds surrounding the house with an area behind which might suit as a pony paddock. Mown grounds surround the venue barn, where there is a car park for around 60 vehicles. Beyond is the vineyard with a general yield (subject to correct maintenance and the weather) of around 1500 bottles per annum which are largely used with offerings to the function hire. Beyond the vineyard is the additional land.
Ipswich 4 miles* Manningtree 9 miles* Colchester 17 miles*
· Accounts are available on request and should be received by the buyer’s accountant, strictly ensuring their privacy. The sale is based on the land and buildings, together with their permitted residential and commercial
uses. The wedding business (ongoing bookings) and vineyard are available by goodwill. Our clients are willing to assist (with an agreed period) with a smooth transition to the new owners, should they so wish.
Rateable Value £18,000
· The agents hold a property questionnaire, completed by the client to assist with providing buyers with as much information at pre-offer stage. We further hold information on the planning history (which can also be
found on the Babergh District Council’s web site (planning
· The Pellet boiler with underfloor heating for the barn has the remaining term of a 25 year guaranteed income/tariff.
· Copdock Hall Listing Entry no. 1351635. House not listed EPC D
· HM Land Registry registered title number SK336785 (one title for the whole)
· Public Footpath. This runs in the field in front of the barn and alongside the vineyard and bottom field. There are several scenic walks in the immediate vicinity.
· The house and barn have private drainage systems which may not comply with the most recent legislation. Buyers are advised that they may need to install a modern system which has been considered when setting
the guide price.
· Part of the commercial element of the sale will be subject to VAT. This is not included in the guide price as negotiations will reflect on the VAT sum payable.
Tax Band G